Smoky, spicy, earthy, complex. These are just a few of the taste descriptors you’ll hear when you marinade your foods in this incredibly rich and tasty Mexican style Adobo marinade – of course here at Nikken we amp up the umami, so we used our 2115 Shiitake Extract Powder to add complexity while ramping up umami.
This recipe was inspired by Mexican Adobo style marinades.
Why this Nikken item was used:
The 2115 Shiitake Extract Powder was used to complement the already complex taste of this adobo sauce. It adds bold mallard notes like grilled and charred while boosting umami.
1. Melt butter in a large sauce pot
2. Add tomato sauce and cook until caramelized (12 min)
3. Add 2115 Shiitake Extract Powder and all remaining ingredients except beef stock, cook (2 min)
4. Add beef stock, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer
5. Reduce sauce until three cups or so remains (20 min)
6. Use this sauce as a beef marinade or braising liquid